Our members count on DelARF to advocate for the supports and services they need to provide quality services to their constituents. Collectively we advance our mission of improving the quality of life for people with disabilities, their families, and the people who support them. DelARF brings your voice to the legislative, budget, and policy processes.
DelARF supports members’ efforts to connect with decision makers and shape public policy through:
- DelARF committees create and provide testimony for the annual Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Budget Hearings and the Joint Finance Committee hearings
- DelARF communicates member input on policy decisions through the public hearing process and meetings with policy makers, state senators and representatives
- DelARF provides guidance and information to member agencies to enhance their advocacy efforts
- DelARF staff develops talking points for meetings, self-advocates, family members, and staff for their meetings with legislators, and staff members accompany these individuals in advocacy activities upon request
- DelARF provides a free annual copy of the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce’s Legislative Roster to each member agency
Communication and Advocacy
DelARF provides ongoing communication to members through:
- Monthly updates of committee activities and accomplishments
- Regular “action alerts” on issues of concern
- Distribution of local, state, and national news stories of concern to member agencies
- Collaborative training opportunities through larger classes and member discounts extend your resources
- Job posting options to the website for members only
- Access to meetings via conference calling
- Opportunities for networking across agencies through committees, special events, and social functions
Building Relationships with Government Leaders
DelARF staff meets regularly with state agency leaders to build collaborative partnerships and address systemic issues affecting all members.
- DelARF’s Executive Director meets monthly with Delaware Health and Social Service (DHSS) division directors and periodically with Department of Labor (DOL) staff
- DHSS division directors and their staff regularly attend DelARF committee meetings
- DelARF staff participate in a variety of statewide committees and commissions including the Governor’s Advisory Councils for the Division of Developmental Services (DDDS), Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH), and Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities (DSAAPD); the Commission on Community-Based Alternatives for Persons with Disabilities; and many others.
- DelARF’s Executive Director is a member of the State Council for Persons with Disabilities and attends their monthly meetings as well as their Policy and Law meetings
National Advocacy and Collaborations
DelARF is a member of the following national organizations:
- American Congress of Community Supports and Employment Services (ACCSES)
- National Council of Community Behavioral Healthcare
- State Association of Addiction Services (SAAS)
- State Use Program Association (SUPRA)
DelARF committees meet regularly to develop goals and objectives and take action to improve the quality and outcomes of community-based programs. DelARF has five committees representing the major initiatives of the member organizations.